While most patients consider a dental appointment to be a minor inconvenience, some people absolutely dread the experience and will avoid a visit to the dentist at all costs. At Southwest Nebraska Dental Center, we don’t want you to experience ongoing pain or dissatisfaction with the appearance of your smile because of fear or anxiety. Our sedation options are guaranteed to help you relax and put you at ease in the dentist’s chair.
Dr. Kaitlin Haag is certified in sedation dentistry by the Dental Organization for Continuing Sedation Education, or DOCS Education.
Conscious Oral Sedation
Oral sedation is sometimes referred to as “sleep dentistry.” The term is a bit misleading – you won’t actually fall asleep during your procedure. In fact, you are conscious the entire time. However, with the use of oral sedatives, you will have little or no memory of the dental procedure, and you’ll leave the office feeling completely relaxed.
Who Are the Candidates for Oral Sedation?
Oral sedation is not just effective for patients with a fear of visiting the dentist. The process can also be used for adults who:
- Dislike the smells, sounds, and and tastes found in the dental office
- Are uncomfortable with needles and shots
- Have difficulty getting numb
- Have a strong gag reflex or very sensitive teeth
- Feel embarrassed about the appearance of their smile
The Oral Sedation Process
1. Schedule your first visit at one of our locations. We are sensitive to your fears and anxieties, and will evaluate your needs to determine what level of sedation will make you most comfortable.
2. You will receive a consult regarding financial arrangements and treatment options.
3. You will be given a prescription for an oral sedative to be taken the night before your appointment.
4. Plan to have a companion drive you to and from your appointment. The companion should also be willing to stay with you until you have recovered from sedation.
5. When you arrive for your appointment, you will be given additional medications to provide you with maximum relaxation. During the entire procedure, our experienced sedation team will closely monitor your vital signs.
Benefits of Conscious Oral Sedation
Oral sedation has made it possible for millions of anxious patients to receive the dental treatments they may have been avoiding.
Oral sedation is very safe and extremely effective. You simply take a pill prior to your visit; no IV needles are necessary. An added benefit is that more work can be performed during a single visit, thereby saving you both time and money.
Oral sedation can be safely used to reduce fatigue associated with lengthy procedures that require an extended amount of time. Patients who opt for oral sedation have virtually no memory of the visit or treatment. After a few appointments, many find they no longer need sedation at all!
If you’ve been putting off an important dental procedure because of fear or anxiety, wait no more. Call Southwest Nebraska Dental Center today, and we’ll discuss options that will make your visit stress and pain free.